Sweet Dreams


I come from a long line of linen lovers. So it’s no surprise that quite a few years back, when I was just a teenager, I was wandering through the streets of Florence, and stopped cold at a window display filled with hand stitched linens. As I pressed my nose up against the glass, I knew I had to walk in and rub my hands over these smooth sheets. As I walked into the store, I remember the glance the sales lady gave me, as in “why are you here?” But I didn’t care, I inspected each piece, touching, looking over the stitching, and patterns. I was in love. I was no fool; I knew not to inquire about the price. These were easily in the hundreds. But I did sneak a catalog into my purse, with the intention of researching when I got home.


And research I did. I found a location in North America, so that one day I would know where to find a set. I learned that the sheets were some of the best in the world and so impeccable, that even the Vatican used them. I found Frette linens are used in some of the world’s finest hotels, and that they are still hand sewn. As for thread count, well higher doesn’t mean better. Lastly, I learned that it would be a while before I owned this fine bedding with a price tag that starts well over a thousand dollars for a set.




So what is about fine bed linens that make it a must have luxury? I can tell you that for me, nothing is better than that smooth feeling on your skin, especially on a newly made bed. Crisp linens are inviting, they want you to rest and enjoy a peaceful sleep so that you can awake energized. Colour is everything; I love a clean white or soft neutral shade to keep a bedroom looking bright and fresh. As for pattern, simple is best. I love that I can have a delicate pattern on the border, or a little lace trim for my feminine side. Just enough to make it feel soft and pretty, but not so much that it decorates a space. Linens compliment a bed, and shouldn’t compete with it.



And all this adds up to a really peaceful sleep. So with that I wish you Sweet Dreams my friends.

Thanks Design DNA for inviting me to post on Frette Linens..

No comments:

Post a Comment